Here we are at the last day of the year! What a year it has been! To say 2020 has been a whirlwind of chaos may be the understatement of the century. 2020 has been “a trainwreck and a s***show” as greatly spoken by Leslie Jones. However, despite the unsettling events of the year, I’ll have to admit that I am grateful for it at the same time.
This year tested our strength in many ways. Strength mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually. It was a year where I truly spent time counting my blessings on a daily basis.
I am very fortunate to have had a decent year. It doesn’t go without it’s stresses from both a financial and mental aspect, but it was a decent year nonetheless.
In December 2019, I had great feelings about 2020. 2020 was going to be the year. The year I find my career path, the year I’d make more money, the year I’d get my braces off. Well, only one of those things happened.
Earlier this year, the job opening I’ve been waiting for years finally opened up. I had great referrals and I felt very confident about it. I was on my final interview the week before the Safer at Home was implemented in many states. Needless to say, hiring freezes were put into place…and the rest is history. My dream job slipped away just like that. Of course, it won’t be permanent, they will eventually fill that position, but it likely won’t be several years.
So that was the start of the pandemic. Shortly after that news, Safer at Home was implemented. Working from home has been the best part of this year…until our little puppy came into our lives on Halloween!
So without further delay, let’s list off 20 things I am thankful for in 2020:
- My Boyfriend: He has been the most supportive person in my life from day one. He is the light that lights up life!
- Our Puppy: She has helped soften the discomfort and uncertainty of the future with the pandemic. Best of all, she’s really completed our little family!
- Family: Family will always be family, no matter how far or how near.
- My Persons: Yes, you can have more than one person. I am absolutely grateful for these people in my life—they really helped me get through the toughest parts of quarantine.
- Friends: Especially friends who understand your COVID-19 boundaries.
- Counting down to 2020 at the Ahwahnee Hotel at Yosemite. Being able to stay in a cabin-like room with a fireplace was most definitely a great way to spend the new year.
- Our one in a lifetime trip to the Galápagos Islands in February! We had the time of our lives and still cannot believe all the wonderful things we saw during that trip and the wonderful people we met!
- A job and their consideration to allow us to work from home. I have always wanted to work from home, but was never sure if I had it in me to stay focused. This year has allowed me to test that out and I absolutely love it. Going back to the office will be the hardest thing!
- A roof over our heads. We love our apartment. Wish it had a balcony and wished it was a better location, but we love it. We have never wanted to own a house prior to the pandemic, but being “locked” inside really made us want a place of our own!
- An outdoor gym: our 6am class was the best! I was probably in the best shape of my life this year, minus the last two months where I had oral surgery and got a puppy pretty much at the same time—so gym was out the window.
- My braces were finally removed after over six years!
- Book of the Month: Because…books!
- Learning how to make sourdough bread—encouraged by Jenna Fischer, directed by Bonnie O’Hara at Alchemy Bread (along with two of my friends who walked me through the beginning!).
- Technology: This allowed us to keep in touch with our family and loved ones. I don’t think I’ve ever seen my extended family physically as much as I have through Zoom.
- A Trustworthy Veterinarian: finding a vet can be difficult—just like finding someone you trust for yourself. Our doctor has been there for us every step of the way, answering all of our questions ranging from “is this normal” to “what do you think about this”.
- An Espresso Machine: my sisters and my boyfriend got this for me for my birthday this year! I have been wanting it for years! It’s been super nice to be my own barista, especially this year! Oat milk lattes anytime I want!
- Grocery Deliveries: Amazon Fresh, Prime Now, InstaCart, Thrive Market, Butcher Box, Grove Collaborative, Postmates. These companies continue to make our life easier each day!
- Netflix and Disney+: I’ve been able to start and finish many shows/movies I had on my “to watch” list! Some shows included: Grace and Frankie, Emily in Paris, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, El Camino, The Mandalorian.
- This Blog: I’m so happy I was able to gather the courage to revisit blogging! Although I’ve been blogging more about food than I have about crafting/projects, I’m still happy to have this space to do it!
- Nail Polish: If you know me, you’d know that I have over 250 bottles of nail polish. I have always opted to do my own nails since high school. I had a bad experience with a manicurist. It was my first time getting gel, which was the thing to do at the time, and had gone to the nail salon to have them removed. She used an electric drill to file off the gel and went a little too deep in the bed of my nail. So needless to say, it was not a fun feeling at all. I honestly have not gone back to the nail salon since then. Instead, I’ve always opted to do my own nails. Polish on my nails always make me feel happy.
There you have it. Thanks for sticking with me through this list of 20 as well as sticking around the blog this year! Your support has been so important to me!
I hope you have a safe New Year celebration!