It’s Fri-Yay!!!! Time for some nice, homemade food!
Today, I’m sharing with you one of my favorite easy, go-to recipe for spaghetti. I’ve tried many different recipes and really just enjoyed throwing together something simple when it came down to it.
Ingredients (makes 4-5 servings):
- 1-28oz can of diced tomatoes, can sub for crushed tomatoes
- 1-15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1lb ground Italian sausage, I chose mild
- 1lb Italian sausage links, I chose hot
- 1/2-1 onion, diced
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp garlic granules
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning, optional
- A handful of spinach or about 1-2 cups
- Spaghetti (cook the amount you’ll be eating and save the sauce for a rainy day)
Sauté the onion and minced garlic in a Dutch oven. Add the ground Italian sausage when the onion becomes fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, pan-sear the Italian sausage links separately. PS: the Hot Italian Sausage from Trader Joe’s is seriously the best! But, know that it is hot!
Once the ground sausage is just about cooked, add the tomato paste. Mix it around and let the fragrances release for about 1 minute. From there, add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and seasonings to the Dutch oven. Mix it up. Before you close the lid, add your seared Italian sausage links. Close the lid and simmer for at least 1 hour.
After about an hour, you’re ready to cook the paste of your choice. I used Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti. When that’s cooked al dente then add the spinach to the sauce. Stir it up and serve it over your pasta!
This is that simple. The best part is, it tastes great the day of and tastes even better the next day. This is also easy to freeze too. I’d recommend refrigerating it overnight before freezing so it has a chance to thicken up.